Friday, August 22, 2008
Packing
D Minus 4 Days. My weekend is already scheduled full, so I’m in a packing frenzy today. Clothes cover my bed, scarves and hats have taken over my chair, and my bedroom floor is littered with assorted essential items. The dog is quite confused, and peers worriedly around the corner into my room. To keep myself entertained, I’ve been playing music and singing along (not always well).
I put on some music I haven’t heard in a while and re-discovered what used to be one of my favorite songs. It’s by the Christian artist Bebo Norman and entitled “The Hammer Holds.” The song tells the anthropomorphic story of the steel which gets made into a nail to crucify Jesus. The chorus goes, “Dream a little, dream for me, in hopes that I’ll remain. And cry a little, cry for me, so I can bear the flames. And hurt a little, hurt for me, my future is untold. But my dreams are not the issue here, for He the hammer holds.” I loved this song in high school, especially as graduation approached. I think it holds true for me now, too. Once more I’m setting off into the wild unknown, with a wing (the airplane’s) and a prayer (that I’ll be doing God’s work).
I’m excited, of course. Right now the stress of trying to fit my entire life into two suitcases is blocking out most of the anticipation and the nervousness. There’s still too much to be done between now and when my flight leaves at 6 am on Tuesday. In the meantime, I’m keeping Jeremiah 29:11 in the back of my mind: “‘For I know the plans I have for you,’ says the Lord, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.’”
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment